Sunday, July 31, 2011

Give to it the rainbow

My grandmother has taught me a few things in life. 1) Always smile and wave at people, even if you cut them off when driving or want to shout obscenities at them. 2) There is always time for cocktail hour. 3) Try your very best.

I'm sure there were many more lessons along the way, but these 3 seem to be very present during my Ironman training. For example, the other day I was out on a run minding my own business and trying to stay out of the way of traffic. I came to a particularly narrow strip of road where the brush on the side is so thick you are forced to run in the road (and if you are familiar with Massachusetts roads, you know they stink). This section of road lasts for maybe 20 feet; then you are able to get back off the road and into the grass. I have frequently run this section. Cars will usually slow down or go around. But not this day. Instead, some woman in her Buick Le Sabre (taking up what looked like 2 seat widths) coasting down the road did not feel the need to slow down but rather lay into her horn for a good 10 seconds just to let me know I was in her way. What I wanted to yell was, "Heard you loud and clear, Fatty!" while flipping her the bird. But what I ended up doing was putting a huge smile on my face and waving at her. I think Mum would be proud of that one.

One thing people will tell you about triathlon training is that it takes a toll on your social life because of the endless hours of swimming, biking, and running. Lucky for me I have pretty good time management skills, a trusty alarm clock, a very understanding family, and the opinion that a few beers is considered carbo loading. So far, everything seems to be working out pretty well and cocktail hour has not been sacrificed.

"Give to it the rainbow," is a saying I have often heard my grandmother say. It was printed on a flimsy place mat but holds very strong meaning. If you were to ask her about it, she would say that it means to try your very best. It was how my great grandfather went from sweeping floors in a canning company to eventually becoming the president of the very same company. Or how my cousin with dyslexia graduated from college and is now working towards his second Master's degree. It's about setting a goal and achieving it - no matter how much hard work, sweat, tears, or time that may take. It is how I plan on becoming an Ironman.

Mum passed away 3 days ago but her words still ring loud and clear. A few weeks ago she told me that she had no regrets. She had lived a good life and was fortunate enough to be blessed with the family she has. Now she was ready to go see my grandfather again.

I think she found her pot of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment