Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Elephants

This week is the Peck family reunion in Canandaigua, NY. I have family from all over the U.S.(Utah, Minnesota, Colorado) converging on one of the most beautiful places I have seen. This week is also my self-proclaimed "training trip". No work for a full week? Whatever shall I do with my free time? I guess swimming, biking, and running should be on that list as I am now at T minus 5 months until IM Arizona (ahhhh! Silently freaking out to myself).









You know that old saying your grandparents would to tell you, "When I was your age I walked to school uphill both ways," yada, yada, yada? Well that is what my bike ride felt like this morning. I mapped out a route and had Kevin drive it with me before I actually rode it. Turns out the hills had what seemed like a 200% grade (if that is even possible) meaning that it would be impossible for me to ride it. Ok, change of course. On my new course the hills were still torturous but I am proud to say that I did make it up all of them. Lungs burning, heart pounding, feet going numb. The whole ride I was telling myself, "You did this to yourself. Get your stupid a$$ up that hill." Hey, whatever works.

After the first monster I decided to enjoy the scenery. There were lots of older farm houses, flowing fields of wheat (or maybe just unplowed grass), home-grown berry stands, and beautiful vineyards. Who knew NY had so much to offer? The good thing about hills is that if you go up them you eventually have to come back down. My cool down was more of a "coast" down and my biggest fear was burning out my brakes. Good times Canandaigua, good times.






Later in the day my Mom and I took a trip in to one of the small towns nearby. I found a print in a gift store that read, "Always keep your elephants calm." I like that. I'm sure you can apply that to many facets of life. Today I am applying it to hill work during my Ironman training. If you stay calm and enjoy the view then the hills won't kill you. (That is my wisdom for the day).

No comments:

Post a Comment