Thursday, October 13, 2011

140 things I love about training for Ironman Arizona

In these final weeks of hard training for Ironman Arizona I find myself trying to look at the positive side. Here are 140 things I love (well, like.... love is an awfully strong word) about training:


1) The exhausted feeling your legs have the day after a really long bike ride



2) Free to eat that extra brownie (or 2)



3) Chocolate milk after long bike or run



4) the feeling of accomplishment when I first rode 60 miles



5) the feeling of accomplishment when I first rode 76 miles



6) running in the New England fall weather



7) buying new tri gear 75% off



8) shoulder rubs from Kevin



9) Young's Chocolate Stout (it's like chocolate milk, right?)



10) soundly sleeping all night long because I am exhausted



11) Losing a few lbs (woot woot!)



12) Quality "me time" while I am swimming/biking/running



13) Knowing that every time I go out to train I am raising money for a good cause



14) No wind during a training ride or run



15) chocolate chip Cliff bars



16) Foot rubs from Kevin



17) My cool down lap around the neighborhood with Ellie



18) Spandex (I have a whole new appreciation for them)



19) New sneakers



20) Running in the rain



21) Hot shower after running in the rain



22) Pre-training oatmeal with honey



23) Frozen snickers bars



24) Knowing that I will survive 17 hours without my iPod



25) http://www.mapmyrun.com/ otherwise, I would be lost.



26) Finally being able to ride in aerobars!!



27) My bike support crew at Landry's bike shop



28) Knowing how to change a flat tire (on my bike, of course. AAA for the car)



29) Coffee after my morning swim



30) Not having to be to work until 11:30 0n Wednesdays.



31) Knowing that my ass will stop hurting when I finally get off my bike



32) The fact that my ass can now handle a 5 hour ride (the shoulders are a different story)



33) My speedometer/odometer on my bike - what did I ever do before this wonderful gadget?



34) Sunscreen!



35) Saturday night sushi dinners after long rides



36) All the supportive emails and Facebook comments



37) No training on Mondays!



38) Funfetti cake made with diet soda (don't knock it until you've tried it)



39) Running down hill



40) My running visor from Timberman



41) My Fuelbelt with a buckle instead of velcro



42) No guilt when I veg in front of the TV at night



43) Catching up on bad TV when I'm on the bike trainer



44) The fan set up in front of me when I'm on the bike trainer



45) Quiet roads on Sunday mornings



46) A lane to myself in the pool



47) 60 minute massages (Thanks Amy!!)



48) Zoning out when I run



49) http://www.mapmyride.com/



50) No rain when I bike



51) CO2 cartridges to inflate my tires



52) Biking around cranberry bogs



53) Lemon-lime Perform (weird, but I actually like it)



54) Body glide!



55) Wearing Kevin's sunglasses on my bike ride (because I'm too cheap to get new ones)



56) Flat bike course



57) Right hand turns when I am biking



58) The water tank on my bike



59) Feeling strong after a swim workout



60) Kick sets in the pool



61) new swim caps



62) Hockomock Sprint Tri



63) MY SWEET NEW BIKE



64) The red handle bars on my sweet new bike



65) Strawberry Shotblocks



66) http://www.iamtri.com/



67) all the wonderful people on iamtri Arizona 2011 who have great insight into the race



68) YouTube motivational videos



69) Pasta dinners



70) Pumpkinman 70.3 2011



71) Not requiring medical assistance after finishing Pumpkinman 70.3



72) coming home to have my dog sitting at the front door waiting for me after a run



74) Funfetti frosting (the pink kind)



75) Jamming out to "Don't Stop Believing"



76) Tuesday night Pilates class



77) Words of encouragement from my patients



78) A full physical therapy team at my finger tips everyday (although I haven't required any assistance yet)



79) Company on training rides



80) Thinking I am going to wake up sore the next morning but I don't



81) My cheering section at my races



82) a new bathing suit



83) Pool water at the perfect temperature (not too hot or too cold)



84) Lane lines that are tightened properly



85) My "I am an Ironman" playlist on my iPod



86) Visualizing crossing the finish line



87) Visualizing the moment Mike Reilly tells me I am an Ironman



88) 2 weeks vacation at Thanksgiving



89) My ponytail holder



90) My Cranberry TriFest water bottles (all of them)



91) My powder blue bike shoes



92) The padding in my bike shorts



93) Wide shoulders on roads



94) Getting lost on bike rides



95) Finding my way home on bike rides



96) New running routes



97) New biking routes



98) My homemade aid station in the driveway



99) Getting 2 compliments on my bike jersey during a race



100) The look on people's faces when I tell them I am doing an Ironman



101) The look on people's faces when I tell them what an Ironman is



102) The look on people's faces when I tell them I only have 17 hours to finish it



103) Writing my blog (hey, thanks for reading along)



104) My quote of the week



105) Learning how to properly hold my bike handles so my fingers don't go numb



106) Making travel plans to Tempe, AZ



107) Stretching



108) Not falling off my bike when I try to clip out



109) Holding under 10 min miles on the treadmill (never thought that day would come)



110) Bike gloves



111) my countdown to November 20th (although this is somewhat anxiety producing)



112) Watching the World Championships online



113) Good weather in October so I don't have to do long rides on the bike trainer



114) My understanding husband who does not get mad with the ever-growing pile of socks, bike shorts, t-shirts, and towels on the floor.



115) Salt tabs!



116) The container with a flip top I just found to hold said salt tabs



117) All the people who have donated to American Lab Rescue so far!



118) 3 pockets on my bike jersey



119) The look on my neighbor's face when, after 2 hours of running, he asks, "You're still going?"



120) Naps at work during my lunch hour



121) Getting in the best shape of my life



122) Now thinking that biking for 2 hours is a "short ride"



123) Now thinking that a 6 mile run is a "short run"



124) Doing distance workouts in the pool (My college coach would be so proud)



125) Feeling strong



126) Having more energy



127) Being less jiggly in certain places



128) Water



129) English muffins with peanut butter



130) Reading the newest edition of Triathlete magazine



131) Getting a proper bike fit



132) When people tell me I have inspired them to sign up for a half marathon (Go, Aimee, go!)



133) Cuddling with my dog after a bad training day



134) Carbo loading



135) Looking at my signed Chrissie Wellington and Johnny Kelly posters for inspiration



136) My pink Ironman watch



137) Long sleeve finisher's shirt at Pumpkinman



138) Looking for people with MDot tattoos while I'm out swimming/biking/running



139) Thinking of what type of MDot tattoo I'm going to get when I finish (that's right mom)



140) Knowing that I will be an Ironman in 5 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment